Together with other SAK-affiliated unions, Trade Union JHL opposes the Government’s harsh policy of making cuts. We’re now forced to defend our members’ terms and conditions of employment with strikes. It’s time for you, too, to take action and save the Finnish working life.
In September we started the Serious Grounds demonstrations, but the Government refuses to even talk about alternatives to the cuts. That’s why Trade Union JHL must now defend the terms and conditions of employment with strikes. The industrial actions will start in Oulu and Lapland on Tuesday 7 November. Southwest Finland will be next in line on Wednesday 8 November, and on Thursday 9 November the strike front will arrive in Eastern Finland.
#SeriousGrounds strikes during week 48
The on-call phone number and on-call hours are in the member message. If you haven’t received the message although you work in one of the workplaces mentioned below, first check the junk folder of your e-mail account. Also check myJHL to ensure your e-mail address and other details are correct. As a last resort, contact email@example.com.
In addition to the strikes, JHL is declaring a ban on overtime and shift swaps and a temporary transfer ban for 24−29 November 2023 in the same workplaces.
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Tuesday 28 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the workplaces mentioned below.
In addition, JHL is declaring a ban on overtime and shift swaps and a temporary transfer ban for 24–28 November 2023 in the same workplaces. The purpose of the temporary transfer ban is to prevent situations where employees are transferred to different working places as a result of, say, a shortage of personnel. The ban means that a JHL member cannot be transferred from one working place to another, or from one work task to another. All of these transfers are refused on the grounds of an industrial action.
- Forssa: tekninen ja ympäristötoimi; infrapalvelut, tilapalvelut, kiinteistön hoito, viherpalvelut, sivistys- ja vapaa-aikapalvelut; Forssan jäähalli ja Urheilutalo Feeniks
- Hollolan Tilapalvelu Oy
- Hollola: elinvoiman palvelualue; kuntatekniikka
- Hämeenlinna: kaupunkirakenne; yhdyskuntarakentaminen ja kunnossapito sekä luonnonhoitopalvelut
- Hämeenlinnan Liikuntahallit Oy
- Hämeen Tekstiilihuolto Oy
- Lahti: sivistyksen palvelualue; liikunnan ja kulttuurin vastuualue, liikuntapalvelut, Lahden kaupunginteatteri, konsernihallinto; Lahden tilakeskus, sekä kaupunkiympäristön palvelualue
- Päijät-Hämeen Laitoshuoltopalvelut Oy
- Riihimäki: tekninen toimiala, elinvoima toimiala; maankäyttö, kaavoitus, ympäristönsuojelu ja rakennusvalvonta
- Riihimäen Vesi; laitosyksikkö ja verkkoyksikkö.
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Wednesday 29 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the workplaces mentioned below.
In addition, JHL is declaring a ban on overtime and shift swaps and a temporary transfer ban for 24–29 November 2023 in the same workplaces. The purpose of the temporary transfer ban is to prevent situations where employees are transferred to different working places as a result of, say, a shortage of personnel. The ban means that a JHL member cannot be transferred from one working place to another, or from one work task to another. All of these transfers are refused on the grounds of an industrial action.
- Helsingin kaupungin asunnot Oy
- Liikelaitos Stara
- Pakilan työkeskus
- Uusix-verstaat: Uusix-Kyläsaari ja Uusix-Suvilahti.
What to do before a strike and during it
- How to prepare for a strike
- What to do during a strike
- Read the frequently asked questions about strike action.
Remember that the only reliable source of information during a strike is your own trade union.
Also follow our communications on Facebook, Instagram and short message service X. Remember also to follow actively the communications of your regional office and local JHL branch, and to update your contact information in the myJHL service.
How can I get involved?
- Follow actively the communications of your regional office and local JHL branch, and remember to update your contact information in the myJHL service.
- JHL is arranging events around Finland. We will update information about demonstrations and events on this page.
- Participate in the events and demonstrations, and sign petitions.
- Share information at home, at work, on the jogging path, everywhere.
- Like, comment and share in social media. Let’s make our message visible together.
In addition to JHL, other SAK-affiliated unions are organising demonstrations and political industrial actions, too.
SAK and your trade union JHL produce a lot of material that you can share or use as a source of information when talking about the Government’s measures in your workplace. Remember for instance the list of cuts that JHL has put together.
In addition, our material bank has ready-made text and picture templates that you can print out for demonstration signs. The material bank also has a base text for a badge.
It is a legal right to participate in a demonstration and in an industrial action
The events organised by JHL are political demonstrations, and it is completely legal to participate in them. If a trade union notifies of an industrial action or a walkout, those members whose work the notification applies to will participate.
Public servants cannot take part in a political industrial action during their working time. Everyone has the right to participate in their leisure time.
Why is Trade Union JHL starting the strikes?
The Government of Finland is blindly holding on to its goals which will bring misery to the Finnish working life and crumble the social security of those with a small income. Job alternation leave, child increase in unemployment security and adult education benefit are about to be flushed down the drain, and there is a desire to cut housing allowance by millions. Unemployed people, too, are being punished severely, as there is a plan to lower earnings-related daily allowance by hundreds of euros.
We’ve put together a comprehensive list of the cuts planned by the Government. Download the list and share information in social media and in your workplace.
- Download the list of cuts in A4 (PDF file)
- Download the list of cuts that you can cut to A5 (PDF file)
#SeriousGrounds is a cry for help of SAK and its trade unions for working people. The Orpo Government wants to change the first sick day into an unpaid one and make it easier to dismiss employees and make use of fixed-term employment relationships. Furthermore, it is going to abolish change negotiations in workplaces with fewer than 50 employees.
The Government is also going to deal heavy blows to public services. Wellbeing services counties are facing savings worth billions. They endanger the social welfare and health care services of Finns, as well as the operations of the rescue sector
Join JHL to oppose the crumbling of working life
We ensure that our members’ terms and conditions of employment remain in order. As a member of Trade Union JHL, you have a person with a position of responsibility in your workplace. They will help you if something doesn’t go as planned with your employer.
When there are storms in working life, the trade union is your safe harbour.
- We challenge teaching assistants in the entire Northern Ostrobothnia regional office region to raise visibility in workplaces and social media. Share pictures with the #SeriousGrounds hashtag. Participate in the campaign in your leisure time.
- In Oulu we’re handing out sachets of porridge, Serious Grounds badges, and flyers made out of the Orpo Government’s list of cuts from 4 to 5 pm on the Rotuaari stage and on the pedestrian street.
- In Pori, we’ll be on the Market Square from 1 to 5 pm. We’ll raise a plywood wall on which you can write your greetings to the Government.
- In Naantali, a Serious Grounds events will be organised in Swedish on the Ukko-Pekka walkway after 4.30 pm. Come send your greetings to decision makers!
Teaching assistants will interrupt their work and take a 10-minute break in the schoolyard at 1 pm on Thursday 28 September in Northern Savonia and Northern Karelia. Employees from the following municipalities are participating:
Northern Karelia: Heinävesi, Ilomantsi, Joensuu, Juuka, Kitee, Kontiolahti, Lieksa, Liperi, Nurmes, Outokumpu, Polvijärvi, Rääkkylä, Tohmajärvi
Northern Savonia: Iisalmi, Joroinen, Kaavi, Keitele, Kiuruvesi, Kuopio, Lapinlahti, Leppävirta, Pielavesi, Rautalampi, Rautavaara, Siilinjärvi, Sonkajärvi, Suonenjoki, Tervo, Varkaus, Vieremä
Demonstrations on the market squares of Kuopio and Joensuu and in Mikkeli from 12 to 5 pm by the side of the pedestrian street (by the side of the market square) in cooperation with PAM and the Finnish Construction Trade Union. Information about the impacts of the cuts and legal amendments from an employee perspective. You can give feedback on the Government Programme by writing on plywood walls.
- Marketplace event on the pedestrian street in Mikkeli from 4 to 6 pm, soup is served.
- Publicity stunts in the centre of Kouvola.
- Workplace visits in the Southeast Finland region. We’ll be for instance handing out Serious Grounds material.
- We’re handing out the Government’s list of cuts and sachets of Serious Grounds porridge at Vaasa railway station. We’ll be present before the trains that depart at 5.25 am and 4.25 pm.
- Joint event organised by JHL, PAM and the Finnish Construction Trade Union on Vaasa marketplace from 11 am to 1 pm. Information, barley porridge and sausages available.
- In Seinäjoki and Vaasa, JHL actives and the chief shop steward are sharing information at the entrances of Seinäjoki Central Hospital from 6.30 to 7.50 am.
There will be a 15-minute walkout where members of Trade Union JHL walk out of their workplaces in the following locations and occupational groups:
- 8.00–8.15 am Äänekoski health centre (Catering)
- 10.00–10.15 am Kyllö health centre (Institutional cleaning)
- 11.00–11.15 am Kukkumäki meal service centre (Catering)
- 11.30–11.45 am Nova Hospital (Technical employees, department secretaries, logistics)
The events are political industrial actions that don’t target the employer or valid collective agreement. The walkout doesn’t apply to public servants.
Marketplace event in Jyväskylä at Väinönkatu 7 from 1 to 5 pm. Jointly organised by JHL, the Finnish Construction Trade Union and PAM.
- Walkout at Helsinki Airport security check from 1.30 to 2 pm.
- In Vantaa, Espoo and Kauniainen, and in the Vantaa and Kerava wellbeing services county, JHL members will observe a moment of silence in their workplaces and interrupt work for ten minutes. JHL members who work for the cities of Espoo, Vantaa or Kauniainen, Vantti Ltd or the Vantaa and Kerava wellbeing services county will take part in the work stoppage. Public servants and family day carers working in their own homes are not involved in the work stoppages.
- In Helsinki, in the Meilahti hospital area, JHL is serving coffee to those who come for their shift at 6.45–7.15 am. Coffee is served outside.
- In Nurmijärvi, we’re organising a marketplace event from 4 to 5 pm.
- In Järvenpää, JHL and KeuSote are organising a marketplace event starting at 4.30 pm.
- JHL is sharing information about the Government’s cuts at Karjaa railway station from 6.15 to 7.30 am together with the Industrial Union.
- We’re handing out Serious Grounds material and porridge sachets in the Tikkurila district of Vantaa, on the pedestrian street Tikkuraitti.
- In Helsinki, outside JHL’s central office, JHL’s immigrant network is organising a demonstration at 4.45 pm at Sörnäisten rantatie 23.
- Employees who are JHL members will interrupt their work for approximately 10 minutes at 10 am in Hämeen tekstiilihuolto Oy.
- In Riihimäki, employees working for the department of technical services will interrupt their work at 10 am and resume work at 10.30 am. They will drive City vehicles to the old marketplace in Riihimäki at Torikuja 6.
- Demonstration on Hämeenlinna marketplace from 4 to 5 pm. Also participating are the Finnish Post and Logistics Union PAU, Service Union United PAM and and a local SAK organisation.
- Marketplace event in Jokioinen from 3.30 to 5 pm. Sausages are served, and cinema tickets are given to every 40th, 80th and 120th visitor.
Work will cease in the railway yards and on the port rails of Kotka and Hamina for eight hours, i.e. throughout the morning shift. The political strike is organised by a department for rail professionals (Kaakon Satamat JHL ry).
- In the Sori Square in Tampere, a joint event by JHL, PAM and the Finnish Construction Trade Union from 4 to 6 pm. A message wall will be on site, we’ll also be sharing information and handing out sausages and sachets of Serious Grounds porridge.
- Walkout in Helsinki by Stara employees from all offices and work sites. The walkouts will last an hour and start at 1–2.30 pm.
- In Helsinki, JHL is distributing Serious Grounds material at Pukinmäki station from 8 to 9.30 am, and at Malminkartano station from 8 to 9 am.
- Demonstration in Helsinki outside the Uusix workshop in Jätkäsaari from 11 to 11.30 am.
- Walkouts from Kiasma and Ateneum at 10-11 am, and from the Sinebrychoff Art Museum from 11 am to 12 pm.
- Demonstration by the support association for unemployed trade union members (Tatsi) at the Parliament House from 11 am to 2 pm. Trade Union JHL encourages its members to join the event! JHL’s people will get together by President Svinhufvud’s statue right in front of the Parliament House.
- In Helsinki, on the Kansalaistori Square, JHL branches 133, 871, 872 and 882 will demonstrate against the Government’s actions. Sausages and porridge sachets are served. Come and state your opinion on the Government’s actions.
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Tuesday 7 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the following workplaces
- Inarin kiinteistöt Oy, Inari
- Meriva sr, Kemi
- Pellon Serviisi Oy, Pello
- Tornion työvoimalasäätiö, Tornio
- Eduro-säätiö, Rovaniemi
- Napapiirin Residuum Oy, Rovaniemi, Pello, Ranua
- Rovaniemen keskuspesula,Rovaniemi
- Oulun keskuspesula Oy
- Oulun ulkoliikuntapaikat ja liikuntahallit
- Lintulan urheilukeskus
- Heinäpään urheilukeskus- ja jalkapallohalli
- Niittyaron urheilukeskus
- Castrenin urheilukeskus
- Pateniemen urheilukeskus
- Maikkulan urheilukeskus
- Oulunsalon jäähalli
- Raksilan jäähalli, harjoitushalli, tekojääkenttä ja pesäpallostadion
- Oulun uimahallit
- Oulun uimahalli
- Raatin uimahalli
- Uimahalli Vesi-Jatuli
- Jatulin liikuntakeskus
- Oulun tuotantokeittiö Oy Lööki
- Kiertokaari Oy, Ruskon jätekeskus
- PPE Köökki Oy, Juho Oksan keskuskeittiö, Oulainen
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Wednesday 8 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the following workplaces
- Kuntec Oy
- Lounais-Suomen Jätehuolto Oy
- Puro Tekstiilihuoltopalvelut Oy, Turku
- Turun Kaupunkiliikenne Oy
- Turun ammattikorkeakoulu
- Turku Energia
- Salon kaupunki, kirjasto- ja liikuntapalvelut
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Thursday 9 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the following workplaces
- Sakupe Oy, Siilinjärven ja Joensuun pesulat
- Riveria – Pohjois-Karjalan koulutuskuntayhtymä
- Sakky – Savon koulutuskuntayhtymä
- Itä-Suomen yliopisto
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Tuesday 21 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the following workplaces:
- Jyväskylän koulutuskuntayhtymä Gradia
- Jyväskylän yliopisto
- Monetra Keski-Suomi Oy
- Sakupe Oy, Jyväskylä.
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Wednesday 22 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the following workplaces:
- Puro Tekstiilihuoltopalvelut Oy, Kerava
- Aleksia-liikelaitos, Nurmijärvi
- Espoo Catering Oy
- Espoon kaupunki: kaupunkitekniikan keskus
- Tilapalvelut-liikelaitos, Espoo
- Vantaan kaupunki: kaupunkiympäristön toimiala, kaupunkikulttuurin ja hyvinvoinnin toimiala, liikunnan palvelualue
- Vantaan Tilapalvelut Vantti Oy
- City of Kauniainen: Tilakeskus, kunnossapito
- Kerava: vapaa-ajan ja hyvinvoinnin toimiala, liikuntapalvelut
- Hyvinkää: kulttuuri ja vapaa-aika, liikunta, Sveitsin uimala, tekniikan ja ympäristön toimiala, tekninen keskus, liikuntapaikat
- Nurmijärvi: ympäristötoimiala, tekninen keskus
- Tuusula: sivistyksen toimialue, vapaa-aikapalvelut
- Järvenpää: hyvinvoinnin palvelualue, liikuntapalvelut
- Mäntsälä: Tekninen ja elinvoimapalvelut, kuntatekniikka.
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Thursday 23 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the following workplaces:
- Tampereen Kaupunkiliikenne Liikelaitos
- VR kaupunkiliikenne, Tampereen Ratikka
- Lempäälän Kiinteistöhuolto ja -tekniikka LEKITEK Oy
- Tampereen Energia Oy
- Tampereen Vera Oy
- Pirkanmaan Jätehuolto Oy.
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Tuesday 14 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the following workplaces
- Provina Tekstiilipalvelut – Textilservice Oy, Seinäjoki
- Vaasan uimahalli
- Lapuan urheilutalo
- Virkistysuimala Sateenkaari, Lapua
- Halkokarin koulu, Kokkola
- Kokkaamo ateriapalvelut Oy
- Ekorosk Oy
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Wednesday 15 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the following workplaces
- Länsirannikon Koulutus Oy WinNova
- Keräämö Oy
- Satakunnan koulutuskuntayhtymä Sataedu
- Äijänsuon urheilukeskus, Rauma
- MeriPorin uimahalli
- Porin keskustan uimahalli
- Porin urheilutalo
The political industrial actions apply to work shifts starting on Thursday 16 November between 12.01 am and 11.59 pm in the following workplaces
- Saimaan Tukipalvelut Oy (ruled outside the strike: cleaning and catering work done for the wellbeing services county as well as home help service food)
- Imatran Kiinteistö- ja Aluepalvelu Oy
- Mikkelin Pesula Oy