JHL Bonus Awards is a system through which the union rewards its members for active and successful member recruitment. The more members you recruit, the more your point balance increases. You can then redeem product awards from the JHL Bonus Awards webshop.
Join the group of member recruiters, regardless of whether you are a JHL member, student member or an activist. You can refer, for instance, your co-workers, fellow students, and family members to join JHL.
The most common reason for someone not joining a trade union is that they haven’t been asked to! Let’s fix that. Be smart and ask.
You can refer people to join Trade Union JHL just about anywhere:
- in your workplace
- during your lunch and coffee breaks
- before and after your working day
- on a lift
- at an educational institution
- on WhatsApp
- on Facebook
- on Messenger
- by e-mail.
A new member may be:
- a new or old co-worker
- a neighbour
- a curious passer-by
- a student
- a member of General unemployment fund YTK.
Recommend JHL membership
Recommend Trade Union JHL to a friend. When your friend joins the union, you will earn value-for-money bonus awards.
The more members you recruit, the more your point balance increases. You can then redeem product awards from the JHL Bonus Awards webshop. For each new employee member that pays the membership fee you will get 30 points, and for each new student member 12 points. One point is worth one euro. Read more about JHL Bonus Awards https://www.jhl.fi/en/membership/jhl-awards/.
Both win – you and the new JHL member!
When your friend joins Trade Union JHL, he or she will be supported and feel secure in matters related to working life. JHL negotiates so that you are rewarded for your work with money in your pocket and well-being at work. New members will also get access to a diverse range of other membership benefits.
Encourage your friends to join JHL, the trade union for star professionals!
JHL is the trade union for public and welfare sectors. The union’s members represent thousands of occupations and various sectors. This elite group of star professionals keeps the wheels of the whole country running, through good times and bad.
Easy recommendation online
Recommending is easy. With the help of the app, you can send a message through WhatsApp, Messenger, or as a text message or e-mail message. Make use of the pre-completed message or write your own.
For us to reward you, your membership number must be on your friend’s membership form. The number is on your membership card. To find out the number, you can also log into the myJHL service. Go to MEMBER INFORMATION > PERSONAL INFORMATION.
When you send a pre-completed message through the recommendation website, your membership number will be included in the message automatically. In case you write a message of your own, remember to ask your friend to add your membership number on the membership form.
JHL Bonus Awards
JHL Bonus Awards is a system through which the union rewards its members for active and successful member recruitment.
Any member of JHL can become a member recruiter and earn good awards. As a member of JHL, you can become a member recruiter right now if you want. For more information about becoming a member recruiter, check out the Member recruitment page.
Good recruiter – good awards
The union rewards you for active and successful member recruitment.
Examples of bonus awards. The products vary according to season.
For each new member that pays a membership fee, you will receive 30 points, and for each new student member 12 points. You can use the points you earn to buy various JHL Bonus Awards products.
Even if you are not yet a member recruiter, you can view the awards on the JHL Bonus Awards page with the following credentials:
When it comes to paying members, the points will be recorded in the member recruiter’s information when the first membership fee has been paid. As for student members, the points are registered immediately.
Check your JHL Bonus Awards points and order your award right away. The points will be updated in JHL Bonus Awards once a month.
If you need help, the website has instructions and contact details.
Member recruiters who have problems with their points should send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To know how to accumulate points and what the points are worth, learn about the rules of JHL Bonus Awards.
The rules of the bonus system are on the JHL Bonus Awards page at Rules.
6+1 tips for recruiting a new member
Choose the recruitment tips that suit you. Some of the tips apply to all members, some especially to members who have a position of responsibility and JHL’s branches. Also check out JHL’s material bank. The material bank has a photo archive available for all which includes campaign material.
1 Member, spread the word about membership
- Bring up the topic of union membership with your co-workers, fellow students or family members.
- Tell them or show them how they can become a member of Trade Union JHL, and fill in the online membership form together right away.
- When you recruit a new member, bonus points will be dropped into your “account”, and you can redeem them for the cool products on the JHL Bonus Awards page.
2 Shop steward, listen more
Most people like to know that they are taken into consideration; they enjoy being asked how they are doing and what’s happening in their workplace.
Face-to-face chats are the most effective, but a phone call will also get the job done. Start dialling!
- Speak to the employees of your workplace and offer them Trade Union JHL membership.
- Ask them to join the trade union and its activities.
3 Shop steward, chat with people
Chat with people and listen to what they have to say – show that you are interested!
- which matters a shop steward should take care of in the workplace
- if they would like to be involved in making the workplace better
- what they would improve in the workplace if they could
- what is important in trade union membership.
- them to join the team of star professionals and become a member of Trade Union JHL.
4 Union branch – prepare a member recruitment plan
- How would you like a workplace plan drawn up by the branch for recruiting members?
5 Shop steward or branch activist, welcome new employees
Preferably face to face, but a phone call is fine, too. The key is to make contact!
For example, like this:
- “Hello, welcome to the company! Have you been familiarised with how things work here? How about your employment contract, does it look OK, or do you still have questions about it? We have our own shop steward here who can help you with that. By the way, are you already a member of a trade union? If not, now is a good time for you to join! The more there are of us, the stronger we are.”
6 Branch activist, make yourself and your branch known
- your branch’s brochures and union material in the break room, lounge and bulletin boards of workplaces.
- campaign material from JHL’s material bank – press “Selaa” (Browse) and go to the section in English.
- JHL logos, pins, stickers
- JHL accessories, such as t-shirts
- campaign material for member recruitment found in the material bank. Press the button “Selaa” (Browse), then go to the section in English.
- the activities of the union and branch
- the people that belong to your branch
- how the person can benefit from being a JHL member.
- that the information on your workplace bulletin boards is up to date: take down old posters and notices and put up new ones, make sure the contact information for shop stewards, branches and contact persons is up to date
- that you also put up material for member recruitment on the bulletin boards. For the material, go to JHL’s material bank: jhlfi/aineistopankki.
Take advantage of
- JHL products when recruiting members; the branches can order the products from JHL-SHOP.
Contact persons at workplaces and charting
One person can’t be everywhere at once. That is why it is a good idea for branches and shop stewards to chart who in the workplace or in a unit wants to be a contact person, and how things have been arranged in workplaces.
The charting will help people work systematically when
- looking for contact persons
- planning workplace visits and member recruitment
- drawing up, say, workplace-specific surveys.
Interested in member recruitment? We’ve put together a list of frequent objections and the answers to them.
Branches and member recruitment
Many branches have named member recruiters, but recommending membership and recruiting new members is also a duty for shop stewards and branch board members.
Branches should plan member recruitment annually and name several member recruiters, one of whom will be named as the person responsible for member recruitment coordination.
Active JHL members with “member recruiter” reported as their assignment receive union newsletters and current information on member recruitment. Their duty is also to inspire other branch members to engage in recruiting new members. If you became interested in the assignment, notify your branch or the union.
Also check out the material offered by the union to support member recruitment.
Recruitment of student members
Each year, a large group of active JHL members and school agents are also involved in recruiting new student members and doing work in schools, which are a very important part of trade union operations.
It is important to spread information about the labour market to future employees of the public and welfare sectors, already during the time of their studies. They will then become familiar with the union and its operators.
Student members do not have to pay the union membership fee during their studies. After graduation, the membership will continue in accordance with the union’s rules.
Member recruiters will be remunerated for some of the expenses of the info sessions held in schools by JHL. For each labour market info session, we pay a lecture fee of EUR 30. For entrance hall info sessions, we pay EUR 15 an hour. In addition, trips to and from the destination will as a rule be remunerated in accordance with the most inexpensive form of public transport.
Do you wish to be trained in member recruitment?
JHL trains member recruiters regularly, both nationally and regionally.
If you are interested in recruiting new members or visiting schools, contact the JHL employees of your region or send an e-mail to the central office: email@example.com.