Questions about becoming a member

Who can join JHL? How is the membership fee paid and what is the fee? See the FAQs and answers related to JHL membership.

What is the membership fee for joining JHL and how is the fee paid?

The membership fee for a working member of the Trade Union for the Public and Welfare Sectors and the Unemployment Fund is 1.38% of all taxable earned income; gross income before taxes.

How do I pay the membership fee?

When you join, you can choose whether your employer will deduct the fee directly from your pay or you will pay it yourself.

Fee deducted by employer

When filling in the electronic membership form, you can also print up an authorisation form giving your payroll accountant the authority to deduct the membership fee. If you do not have access to a printer, when you fill in the form you can request to have it sent directly to your home address. If you are joining JHL using a paper form, be sure to submit a copy of the completed form to your employer’s payroll accounting department, in addition to sending one to the union.

Paying the fee yourself

JHL’s Membership Service will automatically send you a list of reference numbers, which change every month, which you must use when paying the membership fee. The reference number list will also include your membership fee rate, as well as bank account details.

Can I join JHL?

You can become a member of JHL if you work for

  • the state, a municipality, a joint municipal authority or a church/parish
  • an enterprise or company owned by the above
  • an association or a non-profit organisation
  • a company or corporation providing services for the public sector or operating in a corresponding sector

JHL members can also be independent entrepreneurs operating in the above-mentioned sectors who engage in their profession as a main or part-time job and they operate alone, with no employees. Entrepreneur members cannot, however, join JHL’s Unemployment Fund. The unemployment funds for entrepreneurs are AYT and SYT.

Can I join JHL even if my employment relationship is not permanent?

Yes, you can. The duration of your employment relationship has no bearing on whether you can join; it can be permanent, for a fixed term or part time.

Can I be a member of more than one union at a time?

Yes, you can, but you can only belong to one unemployment fund.

What do I need to do if I want to switch from one union and/or unemployment fund to JHL?

In your membership application form, you can authorise JHL to terminate your membership in your previous union and/or unemployment fund for you. You must, however, make sure that your membership is in order until the date when your previous membership ends. You can be credited the work time you have accumulated in your previous unemployment fund if you join the new unemployment fund within one month of leaving your previous one.

Do I need to know which branch is the right one for me when I join?

When you join JHL, you will become a member of its local branch, which is a member branch of JHL. You do not need to know the right local branch. JHL’s Membership Service will direct you to the right local branch based on your employer and workplace.