You will not be invisible in a trade union
Someone takes care of everything that others don’t necessarily even think about. That someone is very often one of us, one of JHL’s top professionals.
Your work deserves recognition. That recognition should come in the form of money in your pocket and the ability to cope at work. JHL is a trade union that works every day so that you would have fair terms and conditions of employment. Become our member now. It’s the only way to ensure that you get:
- fair pay and other terms and conditions of employment
- support for working life conflicts
- a source of income during unemployment
- numerous value-for-money benefits.
Join our union. There is strength in numbers! You can download and print out the membership form below. Remember to indicate whether your employer will collect the membership fee for you or whether you pay it yourself.
To see how we use your information, visit the privacy statement of JHL’s membership register.
JHL is the Finnish acronym for Trade Union for the Public and Welfare Sectors (Julkisten ja hyvinvointialojen liitto). We are Finland’s largest trade union of the welfare sectors. Our members represent close to a thousand occupations. JHL uncompromisingly defends the interests and rights of its entire wide range of occupations.
JHL’s key task is to negotiate good terms and conditions of employment for its members, such as fair remuneration and fair working hours. In addition to this, our membership benefits include:
- shop steward work
- unemployment fund as a safety net
- free legal aid
- national activities for young people
- working life information and courses
- insurance cover for leisure time
- local branch activities
- occupational safety and health representative by your side
- and numerous commercial leisure-time benefits
The union is there for you, regardless of whether you’re working, a student or unemployed. Permanent, part-time, full-time. Zero-hour contract, shift work. Young or old. Immigrant or Finnish born. Woman, man or something else. Whatever your situation or background, you’re always stronger in a trade union.
JHL is also Finland’s most affordable trade union of the welfare sectors, the membership only costs you one per cent of your monthly income.
Join right now. It’s how you can ensure that you’ll be treated fairly in working life and if you face unemployment.
Ok, great. But how much does it cost?
- If you are working, the JHL membership fee is 1% of your salary. The fee includes the unemployment fund membership fee.
- For student members, trade union membership is free.
- The membership fee lowers your taxes. We will notify the Finnish Tax Administration of the sum every year on your behalf.
To calculate your membership fee, you can use this calculator:
Are you facing unemployment or a temporary layoff? You still have time to take action and join JHL!
Can I join JHL?
You can become a member of JHL if you work for
- the state, a municipality, a joint municipal authority or a parish
- an enterprise or company owned by the above
- an association or a non-profit organisation
- a company or corporation providing services for the public sector, or in a corresponding sector.
In addition, independent entrepreneurs working in the above-mentioned sectors can be members of Trade Union JHL. Independent entrepreneurs are full-time or part-time entrepreneurs who work without employees. Entrepreneur members cannot, however, join JHL’s unemployment fund. For entrepreneurs there is the Unemployment Fund for Entrepreneurs. Read more questions and answers about becoming a JHL member!
How do I pay the membership fee? Who can become a JHL member? Can I join several unions? Is there anything else you’d like to know about being a union member? See if you can find the answer on this page: Frequently asked questions about becoming a member. Or use our chat bot! Check what kinds of occupations JHL members have (page in Finnish)!
Did you not find the answer to your question? Contact our Membership Service and leave a question or a request for contact.
JHL’s working member, student member or active member: Get involved in recruiting new members for the union!
By recommending membership in your trade union JHL, you can earn JHL bonus points worth hundreds of euros. Each new member you recruit will increase your bonus point balance. You can redeem the points for JHL Bonus Awards products.