The 120 representatives of Trade Union JHL’s Union Council elected a president and chief executive officer for the union.
On Thursday 8 February, JHL’s Union Council assembled for an extraordinary meeting to elect a new president and chief executive officer for the union. The Union Council elected the current Interim President, Chief Executive Officer Håkan Ekström as the president.
Ekström has been managing the post after the previous President Päivi Niemi-Laine resigned and became JHL’s director of public affairs in November 2023. Ekström has been in the management of the union since 2016. He has worked for the union since 1992.
– I’m grateful for the trust placed in me. This is a good basis for going forward during these challenging times. I believe that we as a union can go forward with the help of cooperation as a more unified front than before, President Håkan Ekström says.
Mari Keturi becomes chief executive officer
Mari Keturi will start as the new chief executive officer. Her latest job was that of executive director at Negotiation Organisation for Public Sector Professionals JUKO. She previously worked in the service of JHL for nearly 14 years within the protection of both public and private sector contractual interests. Out of these 14 years, she was a superior and member of JHL’s extensive management group for over six years. She started her trade union career as a lawyer working for the Finnish Union of Practical Nurses SuPer in 2006.
– I want to thank the Union Council for their great confidence in my skills and abilities to act as the chief executive officer of the collective bargaining and union activities line. I will for my part do my job in such a way that the new President Håkan Ekström will get the best possible support and succeed at his difficult task, Keturi says.
Saila Ruuth will continue in her post as second chief executive officer. The elections were made for the remaining Union Council term of office, until summer 2027. The Union Council is the union’s highest executive body.
President Håkan Ekström
040 828 2865
Chief Executive Officer Mari Keturi
050 461 9315
You may also be interested in
- Serious Grounds demonstrations to continue around Finland – This is how JHL will demonstrate this week
- Intensive weeks for member recruitment are back – New members get a EUR 50 gift card during the campaign period
- JHL to start day-long strikes in November: The trade union is ready to take tougher measures if the Government doesn’t change its policy
- Three candidates for JHL president, one person withdrew himself