By recommending membership in your trade union JHL, you can earn JHL bonus points worth hundreds of euros. This page offers you tools for recruitment. The more of us there are, the stronger Trade Union JHL is in workplaces.
Join the group of member recruiters, regardless of whether you are a JHL member, student member or an activist. You can refer, for instance, your co-workers, fellow students, and family members to join JHL.
The most common reason for someone not joining a trade union is that they haven’t been asked to!
Let’s fix that. Be smart and ask.
You can refer people to join Trade Union JHL just about anywhere:
- in your workplace
- during your lunch and coffee breaks
- before and after your working day
- on a lift
- at an educational institution
- on WhatsApp
- on Facebook
- on Messenger
- by e-mail.
A new member may be:
- a new or old co-worker
- a neighbour
- a curious passer-by
- a student
- a member of General unemployment fund YTK.
Recommend JHL membership
Recommend Trade Union JHL to a friend. When your friend joins the union, you will earn value-for-money bonus awards.
The more members you recruit, the more your point balance increases. You can then redeem product awards from the JHL Bonus Awards webshop. For each new employee member that pays the membership fee you will get 30 points, and for each new student member 12 points. One point is worth one euro. Read more about JHL Bonus Awards https://www.jhl.fi/en/membership/jhl-awards/.
Both win – you and the new JHL member!
When your friend joins Trade Union JHL, he or she will be supported and feel secure in matters related to working life. JHL negotiates so that you are rewarded for your work with money in your pocket and well-being at work. New members will also get access to a diverse range of other membership benefits.
Encourage your friends to join JHL, the trade union for star professionals!
JHL is the trade union for public and welfare sectors. The union’s members represent thousands of occupations and various sectors. This elite group of star professionals keeps the wheels of the whole country running, through good times and bad.
Easy recommendation online
Recommending is easy. With the help of the app, you can send a message through WhatsApp, Messenger, or as a text message or e-mail message. Make use of the pre-completed message or write your own.
For us to reward you, your membership number must be on your friend’s membership form. The number is on your membership card. To find out the number, you can also log into the myJHL service. Go to MEMBER INFORMATION > PERSONAL INFORMATION.
When you send a pre-completed message through the recommendation website, your membership number will be included in the message automatically. In case you write a message of your own, remember to ask your friend to add your membership number on the membership form.
6+1 tips for recruiting a new member
Choose the recruitment tips that suit you. Some of the tips apply to all members, some especially to members who have a position of responsibility and JHL’s branches.
1 Member, spread the word about membership
- Bring up the topic of union membership with your co-workers, fellow students, or family members.
- Tell them or show them how they can become a member of Trade Union JHL, and fill in the online membership form together right away.
- When you recruit a new member, bonus points will be dropped into your “account”, and you can redeem them for the cool products on the JHL Bonus Awards page.
2 Shop steward, listen more
Most people like to know that they are taken into consideration; they enjoy being asked how they are doing and what’s happening in their workplace.
Face-to-face chats are the most effective, but a phone call will also get the job done. Start dialling!
- Speak to the employees of your workplace and offer them Trade Union JHL membership.
- Ask them to join the trade union and its activities.
3 Shop steward, chat with people
Chat with people and listen to what they have to say – show that you are interested!
- which matters a shop steward should take care of in the workplace
- if they would like to be involved in making the workplace better
- what they would improve in the workplace if they could
- what they think is important in trade union membership.
- them to join the team of star professionals and become a member of Trade Union JHL.
4 Union branch – prepare a member recruitment plan
- How would you to have like a workplace plan drawn up by the branch for recruiting members?
5 Shop steward or branch activist, welcome new employees
Preferably face to face, but a phone call is fine, too. The key is to make contact!
For example, like this:
- “Hello, welcome to the company! Have you been familiarised with how things work here? How about your employment contract, does it look OK, or do you still have questions about it? We have our own shop steward here who can help you with that. By the way, are you already a member of a trade union? If not, now is a good time for you to join! The more there are of us, the stronger we are.”
6 Branch activist, make yourself and your branch known
- your branch’s brochures and union material in the break room, lounge and bulletin boards of workplaces.
- JHL logos, pins, stickers
- JHL accessories, such as t-shirts
- the activities of the union and branch
- the people that belong to your branch
- how the person can benefit from being a JHL member.
- that the information on your workplace bulletin boards is up to date: take down old posters and notices and put up new ones, make sure the contact information for shop stewards, branches and contact persons is up to date
Take advantage of
- JHL products when recruiting members; the branches can order the products from JHL-SHOP.
Contact persons at workplaces and charting
One person can’t be everywhere at once. That is why it is a good idea for branches and shop stewards to chart who in the workplace or in a unit wants to be a contact person, and how things have been arranged in workplaces.
The charting will help people work systematically when
- looking for contact persons
- planning workplace visits and member recruitment
- drawing up, say, workplace-specific surveys.
Branches and member recruitment
Many branches have named member recruiters, but recommending membership and recruiting new members is also a duty for shop stewards and branch board members.
Branches should plan member recruitment annually and name several member recruiters, one of whom will be named as the person responsible for member recruitment coordination.
Active JHL members with “member recruiter” reported as their assignment receive union newsletters and current information on member recruitment. Their duty is also to inspire other branch members to engage in recruiting new members. If you became interested in the assignment, notify your branch or the union.
Especially great rewards for member recruitment in November 2021
At the beginning of November, Trade Union JHL started its traditional member recruitment campaign. During the campaign, branches that have recruited the largest number of new members will be rewarded with gift cards. The rewards worth EUR 500 will be given out in these categories:
- The branch that has recruited the largest number of new members
- The branch that has recruited the largest number of new members in relation to its previous number of members
- Most impressive member recruitment stunt
- Most creative way of recruiting new members.
Suggest an impressive stunt or the most creative way of recruiting new members by 16 November. Send your suggestion to email@example.com.
Recruitment of student members
Each year, a large group of active JHL members and school agents are also involved in recruiting new student members and doing work in schools, which are a very important part of trade union operations.
It is important to spread information about the labour market to future employees of the public and welfare sectors, already during the time of their studies. They will then become familiar with the union and its operators.
Student members do not have to pay the union membership fee during their studies. After graduation, the membership will continue in accordance with the union’s rules.
Member recruiters will be remunerated for some of the expenses of the info sessions held in schools by JHL. For each labour market info session, we pay a lecture fee of EUR 30. For entrance hall info sessions, we pay EUR 15 an hour. In addition, trips to and from the destination will as a rule be remunerated in accordance with the most inexpensive form of public transport.
Do you wish to be trained in member recruitment?
JHL trains member recruiters regularly, both nationally and regionally.
If you are interested in recruiting new members or visiting schools, contact the JHL employees of your region or send an e-mail to the central office: firstname.lastname@example.org.